Position: Fruit & Vegetable Packaging Consultant
Start Date: May 01, 2017 (estimated)
End Date: June 30, 2017
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Roots of Peace is a humanitarian organization whose mission is to rid the world of landmines and other remnants of war by transforming toxic minefields into thriving farmland and communities through a focus on sustainable, organic farming practices. Roots of Peace is implementing the Commercial Horticulture & Agricultural Marketing Program (CHAMP) in Afghanistan for USAID, along with two smaller programs. CHAMP recently received a three-year extension from USAID to implement a program along the lines described below.
CHAMP will provide focused attention to supply chains, marketing, and export promotion of Afghan fruits, nuts, vegetables and other high market value crops to international markets. CHAMP will help Afghan traders and agribusinesses export high value crops to wholesale markets and supermarkets in the region by focusing on two major components: 1) Supply Chain Improvement and 2) Export Market Development to strengthen commercial horticultural exports from Afghanistan.
Purpose of Consultancy:
The purpose of this assignment is to provide for a systematic approach for improvement of local packaging products including cardboard, plastic boxes, clamshells, paper and plastic fruit trays for fruit, vegetables and nuts through specific technical interventions and capacity building of local packaging manufacturers.
Description of Role:
The Consultant will lead an initiative to improve Afghan packaging manufacturers so that they can provide quality cardboard boxes, plastic basket/carton, clamshells, fruit trays for fruit, vegetables and nuts for local and export markets.
The Consultant will provide world class expertise in post-harvest handling and export packaging, comprehending aspects of product quality, presentation and cost effectiveness.
Among other aspects, The Consultant will be responsible for assessing packaging manufacturing practices used by local companies and provide training sessions to help address any weaknesses uncovered for the sector.
The Consultant will also work closely with one or two firms assessed to determine the technical improvements and capacity building aspects that can be supported through CHAMP’s small grants programs.
The Consultant will work closely with CHAMP’s Deputy Chief of Party and Post-harvest and Trade Specialist in implementing this assignment.
- Detailed methodology for conducting the assignment for approval by the Chief of Party within one week of undertaking the assignment.
- Interim Report outlining preliminary findings and recommendations 20 working days after arrival in Afghanistan.
- Detailed final assessment report including current packaging in usage, comprehensive assessment of local packaging manufacturers and recommendation for improvement of local produced packaging. The assessment will include an evaluation of the capacity of local manufacturers and a concrete plan for strengthening their capacity. Draft Final Report to be submitted one week before departing the country.
- Design and implement appropriate training courses for packaging manufacturers. Course content to be submitted within one month of undertaking the assignment. Courses to be delivered during second month of Consultancy as agreed with COP.
- Provide packaging equipment requirements and technical specifications for one or two firms to support their application under CHAMP’s small grants program. To be delivered during the first week of the second month of Consultancy, as agreed with COP.
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, industrial engineering, agricultural economics, marketing or other related field with a Master’s preferred.
- Have at least 7 years’ work experience in export packaging
- Have at least 10 years’ work experience in supply chain management or logistics, demonstrating positions of progressive responsibility.
- Past experience working in fruit and vegetable packaging industry t
- Knowledge of international quality standards for packaging, including aspects related to product preservation and presentation.
- Private sector experience working with fruit and vegetable packaging manufacturers; especially in the areas of cardboard, plastic packaging, clamshell and fruit trays.
- Practical knowledge of the South Asia, Gulf Countries’ and Central Asian markets, i.e. CHAMP target markets;
- Both spoken and written fluency in the English language;
- Have excellent communication, leadership, presentation, training, and interpersonal skills.